So when I saw this project in a crochet magazine, I thought it was the perfect solution. And what the heck, I could always light a gingerbread scented candle, right? I figured since I'd be going through all the construction issues, personal preference changes and mess, it would behoove me to ask my mother and daughter if they wanted one first, so I could make all three at the same time. Sure enough, they loved the idea, and I began the lengthy (albeit one time) process of creating my own little development community of gingerbread homes. As it turned out, although it WAS a positively monumental task to make all three at once, it was the best approach!
I chose to make the bases out of the round cardboard discs they sell for cake baking. I used a fuzzy, snowy looking yarn and added some dainty hearts around the border.
The walls and roofs were cut out of cardboard and glued together before adding the crocheted panels. My husband Frank helped me out with that as his hands are stronger than mine, besides he's not afraid of the razor knife. (we klutzes have a healthy fear of all things that slice and dice)! Thank you Frank, I couldn't have done it without you!
Here are a few shots at various stages of construction.
As it turned out, the task was even more daunting than I expected, (times three houses like that), and there were quite a few times that I doubted my sanity for even attempting the project, but luckily I was elf employed at the time, which definitely helped!!!
Although I liked the way the houses were decorated in the magazine, I wanted mine to be a little less busy. So I made just a few candy confections here and there and added delicate snowflakes to the front side of each.
In the end I was rewarded with three delightful gingerbread houses. By the way, Mom and Julie loved theirs too!!!
I did however wind up making one final post construction modification. I thought the roof peek needed a generous helping of snow to look finished. Ahhh, that's much better!!!! My work here is done!!!