MY PHILOSOPHY

MY PHILOSOPHY
When we show our respect for the other living things, they respond with respect for us.----Arapaho Proverb

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

A GOURMET TAIL

I have a dear little friend whose name is Remy.  Well, not really.  You see, I just call him that as I have no way of knowing his real name. After all I had to call him something! The title does fit him to a tee though. Remy is our 'stray gourmet', a cat who sort of adopted us as his ( very willing) benefactors.  He's a fellow who definitely knows what he likes and what he doesn't. That's why I chose the name, from the movie 'Ratatouiille', a story about a little gourmet rat who becomes a fine chef.  It just seemed a perfect fit!

Remy stops by when he chooses, eats only what he chooses, and turns his cute little nose up at the rest.  I guess you could say he is his own cat.  Over the couple of years that we have been feeding him now, Remy has gradually taught me his culinary preferences.  At first I was very slow to learn, but he persisted until my training is now complete.  I am still awaiting my feline chef's diploma.

Our little gourmet takes his meals on the bench outside the kitchen porch where his blue placemat, with the cut-out hearts, has been stapled for his dining pleasure.  He always has a three course meal. A stickler for tradition, his dishes are ALWAYS placed just so. There is a bowl for dry cat food on the left, sort of the croutons for his second bowl,  which is filled with Friskies pate, on the right. Then there is a smaller one with the treat du jour (i.e. diced cheese or lunch meat, a tidbit leftover from  one of our meals, etc.), always  carefully placed between the other two.



What fun it is to watch him eat!  First he just sits and surveys his banquet for a bit before beginning.  Then he will nosh a little of this and a little of that, going back and forth from bowl to bowl. He takes his time and truly savors every meal.  It is a pleasure to fuss over him; he is so appreciative!!!

Remy and I do share one common food passion; salmon.  Whenever I poach some for myself, I always save a little for him. And so, when my husband and I treated ourselves to a couple of lobsters,  I decided to give the carapace, the body part with the (you don't wanna know) in it, to our little 'stray gourmet' to see if it met with his approval. I am happy to report it was an instant success!  As a matter of fact, I was able to get a couple of photos of him as he was about to begin his feast.





Remy is a curious little fellow who approaches life in much the same manner that he approaches a fine meal.  I have observed him, on many occasions, just sitting very quietly and looking about him to see what was going on in the present moment. A very zen cat!  And the little dear has been an excellent teacher to me, reminding me to chill out and take time to smell the roses.

Lately he has taken to lounging on the porch after a hearty meal.  It is such a pleasure (and an honor) to be in his company. And yet he wants nothing more than a good meal from us.  He shies away from any physical contact and runs away if we should get too close.  I respect his wishes although I have informed him that the door is always open should he decide to take up being a house cat.  I think he would be excellent at it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment