MY PHILOSOPHY

MY PHILOSOPHY
When we show our respect for the other living things, they respond with respect for us.----Arapaho Proverb

Sunday, July 11, 2010

SONGS OF THE NIGHT

I just love all the many sounds of a Summer night!!!  The music is sublime!!!  And as the season builds to a crescendo, the tunes become more and more intricate, as various newcomers join in; their voices each overlapping and adding its own texture to the mix. 

Have you ever been camping out in the woods?  It starts out so very peaceful and quiet.  But late at night that 'peace and quiet' becomes SO INTENSE that it is almost deafening, as what I like to refer to as 'The All Bug Chorus' revs up for the night, and each tiny creature tries to outdo its neighbor in volume!!  I love to just lie there and listen.  Yet at times EVERY SINGLE VOICE OUT THERE will just stop!!!  All at once, as if they have been rehearsing it for weeks.  And a shiver will inevitably run down my spine as I wonder what could possibly be out there to intimidate them ALL at the same exact moment like that, as I lay there so vulnerably in a flimsy fabric tent!!  More than a little spooky really!!!

Just the same, the voices are all marvelous!  But most of all I love the song of the crickets.  As a matter of fact, I think I would have to say that is my favorite sound in all the world.  I love to fall asleep at night listening to the beautiful music they make.  Over the years I have written a couple of poems about them that I would like to share with you today.


ODE TO THE CRICKETS

I hear a concert just outside
It started about even-tide,
And as the melody does play
All else just seems to slip away.

Such a lovely serenade
No sweeter sound was ever made.
Hidden 'neath each shrub and fern
Every soloist takes a turn.

This nocturne lasts throughout the night
Imparting absolute delight
And to this lullaby most fair
I fall asleep without a care.


I borrowed from this second poem for the title of this post, because I think it speaks most directly of what I wish to convey to you about my love of  the crickets.  I hope you will enjoy reading it, and that it will perhaps cause you to listen a little more closely to the delightful music made by these amazing little creatures.


SONGS OF THE NIGHT

The concerts of the Summer,
Such charming melodies,
Echo through the darkness
And play most hauntingly.
Each tiny musician,
Cicadas, crickets too,
Will play its little heart out
As entertainers do!
Playing each their own song
Underneath the moon,
How beautifully they meld
Into this lively tune!
Listen to their music
If only for a while,
It sounds like a conductor
Is leading them in style.
And if you listen closely
As they play throughout the night,
The masterpieces that they share
Will fill you with delight.
So come and sit beside me
And listen with your heart,
I think that I can hear them,
They are about to start.


And with that I shall wish you all a good night!  

No comments:

Post a Comment